Saturday, June 16, 2007

you've gotta blame it on something...

Oh dear sweet Governator...how I love thee. From the moment I first saw your campaign commercial whilst visiting my fiance's family, I knew you were the absolute bomb.


errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....yeah.



he is now saying that immigrants should turn off the spanish language el BoobTube. (Obviously I'm not soaking much in when my perfectly fluent bilingual fiance is watching it) I think this is grasping at straws. I've watched Japanese language tv...in Japan. And I've watched Telemundo and all the other fun networks here. Now looky here. I am good at learning languages. I've got awesome skillz in German...good retention even though I haven't taken it since I was 19. I'm currently 13 years later...and probably advanced beginner or low intermediate. I lived in Japan for a while...and I've watched the tv as I previously said.

I am no closer to understanding what's being said than I am to being crowned Queen of England.


I can read a bit of Spanish and speak even less. I'm not making a concerted effort I must admit. And I should. I really should. But if I plant myself down in front of the telly for months, years...on end...I will not quickly learn Espanol.

Please note that there are adverts for language learning cd's and dvd's on these Spanish channels...more so than you'll ever see on an English station. One makes it simple and helps people see how they can speak English using the Spanish sounds. Now that's how you say Sometaims[sic]. But the problem with these language tools is they are expensive. Why throw $117 to learn a language when that would go so much further in feeding your family? These people don't earn enough as it is...because they have the low-end jobs flipping meat with America's youth. And they're hard at work taking jobs away from us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.